We know that it is a challenge to choose an estate planning lawyer. You likely want to choose someone who is both compassionate and highly skilled. How do you know if an estate planning lawyer you are considering will fit the bill?
To assist you in making your decision, we are providing a list of considerations when choosing an estate planning lawyer.
- What is the attorney’s reputation in the community?
- What do the attorney’s clients say about the estate planning attorney?
- Does the lawyer focus her practice on estate planning or does she try to do many things?
- How long has the attorney been practicing estate planning?
- Does the attorney belong to a national estate planning organization?
- What do you think of the attorney’s website and blog?
- Does the attorney seem down to earth and approachable, yet professional at the same time?
- Is the attorney’s office clean, organized, and welcoming? What do you think of the bathroom?
- How do you feel when you walk in the door?
- Is the staff friendly and responsive?
- Are your telephone calls and emails answered promptly (i.e. within 24 hours or the next business day?)
- Does the attorney offer a no or low fee, no obligation consultation or meet and greet?
- Does the attorney offer educational seminars that you can attend to check her out?
- Does the attorney have a succession plan so you’ll have someone to help you if she leaves the practice?
To narrow your search for the right estate planning attorney:
- Get recommendations from friends
- Choose an attorney who focuses her practice on estate planning
- Attend a seminar or meeting to get a feel for the attorney and her staff
- Then, ask yourself or the estate planning lawyer, as appropriate, the questions outlined above
Latest posts by John Potter (see all)
- What Happens If I Leave Assets Out of My Living Trust? - February 15, 2019
- What are the Advantages of an Irrevocable Trust? - February 14, 2019
- Charlotte Medicaid Attorneys Explain How to Protect Healthy Spouses - February 11, 2019